Monday, 26 March 2012

Off To A Flyer

26th March - the second day of the new trout season and I'd chosen the River Ribble at Settle for my first outing. I tried my best to make an early start because of the unseasonal heatwave and low river, but again work commitments delayed me. It was 11:20 and 14.5C when I pulled up on the bridge and the very second that I looked over I saw a trout rise and an olive take off. Yes the hatch was already underway when normally at this time of year I'd probably be an hour early.
River Ribble at Settle
River Ribble at Settle
I set up the Tenkara rod with level line and a dry CDC Upwing to fish the bridge pool. Olives were hatching in good numbers and there were fish rising in the streamy water towards the head of the pool. First fish was a salmon between parr and smolt stage and I had another 6 fish from this first pool, all on Tenkara.
Working up the river I alternated between casting a CDC Upwing dry fly on my 9' #4 rod and the same pattern using the Tenkara rod, trying to determine advantages and disadvantages of each. I had fish to both and I need more time before I draw up conclusions.

A fish on the tenkara rod
A fish on the tenkara rod
I didn't see another olive hatch from 14:00hrs onwards - very early in the day when you consider the clocks only moved forward an hour yesterday. In many years the hatch would just be starting at that time.

I ended the day French nymphing with the Tenkara rod - my inexperience with it lost my biggest trout of the day trying to land it too quickly. I finished with around 20 fish landed all on the same dry fly pattern. Not bad for the first trip of the year. It was 21C back at the car as I left at 16:00hrs.